Welcome from the Governors
Welcome to the Governor pages of the school website. I have been a school Governor at Howbridge Infant School for four years and the Chair of the Governors for the past year. I am a parent with two children who have both been to Howbridge Infant School. I also work in a Schools HR team and so have significant experience to be able to offer The Governing Body. As a parent and a Governor, I am in the school most weeks and am always available should you wish to talk to me. If need be, you can contact me through the school office.
The Governing Body exists to support and contribute to the strategic development plan of our school. Whilst the Headteacher is responsible for the day-to-day management and leadership of the school, the Governing Body are involved with overseeing the curriculum, pupil welfare, premises, personnel and school finances at a strategic level. The best description of a Governor is a ‘critical friend’. We support the school and its management but we also challenge by asking probing questions informed by our regular visits to the school. Ultimately, we all want our school, Howbridge Infant, to be the very best school it can be and we are all working hard to achieve this objective.
We are fortunate to have a dedicated team of Governors who are actively involved in the life of the school. The Governing Body is composed of the Headteacher, parents, staff and members of the local community. When the term of office of a parent governor comes to an end, elections take place to replace them.
In the following pages you can find out more about the Governing Body – who we are and what we do. We come from different walks of life and bring different skills and expertise to The Governing Body.
Colin Hooker – Chair of Governors
Our School Governors
- Mr C. Hooker – LA Governor (Chair of Governors)
- Mr J. Deathe – Partnership Governor (Vice Chair and Chair of Resources)
- Mr J. McDonald – Parent Governor (Safeguarding Governor)
- Mr A. King – Parent Governor
- Mr J. Holmes – Co-opted Governor (Vice Chair of Curriculum)
- Vacancy – Co-opted Governor
- Mrs H. Appleton – Co-opted Governor (Staff)
- Vacancy – Parent Governor
- Mr G. Davies – Parent Governor (Chair of Curriculum)
- Vacancy – Partnership Governor
- Vacancy – Partnership Governor
- Mrs K. Coyne – Staff Governor
- Ms A. Conley – Headteacher
- Miss T. Buck – Parent Governor
- Mrs J. Johnson – Clerk to the Governors
The Governing Body is subject to Regulation 5(4) of The Education (School Government)
(Transition to New Framework) Regulations 1998. All Governors are elected for a term of four years except the Headteacher who is ex officio.
Register of Business Interests
The Structure of the Governing Body
The Governing Body does most of its work in two committees:
- The Resources Committee which includes Finance, Premises (Health and Safety, Safeguarding and Security), Personnel – Pay and Appointments, Monitoring and Evaluation.
- The Curriculum Committee which includes Pupil Attainment and Achievement Standards and Monitoring.
In addition to the committee work, each Governor carries a portfolio consisting of one or more curricular or non-curricular responsibilities.
Responsibilities of the Governing Body
The Governing Body has specific legal responsibilities including:
- The responsibility for the overall conduct of the school
- Setting targets for standards and achievement
- Ensuring the school has a curriculum policy, in particular the teaching of National Curriculum subjects and RE and deciding on provision of sex education
- Ensuring policies relating to the school’s operation are prepared and reviewed regularly
- Providing information for parents
- Financial management
- Personnel matters, including staff appointments as appropriate
- Management and maintenance of buildings
- Pupil discipline and behaviour
- Monitoring and evaluating the activities of the school
- Drawing up a plan after inspection by Ofsted and overseeing its implementation.